Singing with Geelong Harmony
Geelong Harmony offers a fun and supportive environment where women can learn a cappella harmony singing techniques and perform regularly with an ensemble. We learn our songs from high-quality recordings and sheet music, so you don’t need to be able to read music. Our music is arranged in the barbershop style to maximise harmonic overtones, giving us beautiful ringing harmonies. Our four voice sections are bass, baritone, lead and tenor.
All you need to sing with us is the ability to:
* sing in tune
* hear those around you and blend your voice with theirs
* learn to hold your own part when surrounded by others, and
* have fun singing, performing and socialising with a friendly, talented group of singers.
Geelong Harmony’s Musical Director Michelle Roy says that while we need women who can hold their own as singer, they do not need to have had musical training.
“Geelong Harmony is a great place to improve your ability as a singer, ensemble singer and performer – and a perfect place to enjoy the company of like-minded women and enjoy the rush of regular performances and competitions,”
Geelong Harmony Rehearsals
If you’re interested in joining us or finding out more, come and watch one of our rehearsal. You’re also welcome to stay afterwards for one of our delicious suppers.
* When: Monday nights from 6.45 to 9.30 pm
* Where: Western Heights Uniting Church Hall, Douglass Street, Herne Hill
Joining Geelong Harmony
Joining Geelong Harmony is usually a six-week process where you have the opportunity to:
* Week 1 – sing warm-ups with us, observe, listen, and decide whether Geelong Harmony meets your interests and needs.
* Week 2 – allow our Musical Director to assess your voice and place you in the appropriate section for your voice.
* Weeks 2 to 6 – join members on the risers for warm-ups and some singing, and learn two songs from our current repertoire that you’ll sing for your audition. Your section leader will provide you with learning tracks, music and ongoing support to help you learn your audition songs.
Don’t worry about your audition: you don’t have to sing in front of everyone. You simply sing with the chorus and make a recording of your songs, then email them to your section leader and the Musical Director. Once your have passed your audition you can become an official member of the chorus.
Before passing your audition you are required to pay $10 per rehearsal to cover the cost of tuition and any materials we may give you.
Everyone who joins must pay a one-off joining fee of $200 that covers your first annual fees for Sweet Adelines International and Sweet Adelines Australia plus
one of the following monthly fees, depending on which category you are in:
* Full membership – $65.00
* Student membership (under 26 years old) – $32.00
* Concession or pension membership – $55.00
If you’re thinking of joining contact our Membership Manager, Marg:
* by email at Membership manager, or
* call on 0406 666 737.